Suggested equipment for your visit to
Cerro Castillo National Park
Not exactly sure what to bring on your backpacking trip? Let us help! Here is a suggested gear list based on what our own guides pack in to the backcountry and what our company feels is most important.
It is highly recommended to not bring cotton clothing on this hike. The mountains of Patagonia are unique with a low altitude vegetation line and quickly changing weather that can catch you off guard. Please be prepared and pack for a blustery day, even if the sun is shining when you depart!
- Pair of synthetic hiking pants, shorts optional. On shoulder season hikes, soft shell, wind proof pants are recommended.
- 2 Non-cotton shirts, long sleeve and short sleeve.
- 1 fleece jacket or insulating layer.
- Down jacket or insulating jacket during shoulder season.
- Generally speaking, we advise two pairs of clothes per four days in the field, plus one change of clothes to put on while in camp during the evenings.
- 1 set of base layers – wool or synthetic.
- Socks that are not cotton based.
- Rain gear – jacket and pants.
- Hiking boots (no sneakers) and another pair of lightweight shoes or sandles you can wear in camp while relaxing. Make sure your boots aren’t new and that you have broken them in before your trip to Patagonia.
- Fleece hat/beanie and gloves – the mountains can get pretty chilly at night even during summer months.
- Visor or sun hat
- Hiking Gaiters
- Head lamp
- Personal medicines and first aid kit
- One water bottle
- Camera (if it is not waterproof, we suggest putting it in a ziploc or dry bag)
- Sun screen
- Bug repellent
- Trekking poles (optional)
- Sleeping bag rated to at least 0 degree Celsius and inflatable mattress (we can provide mattresses upon request.)
- Four season tent
Have you already checked the rates and schedules of the Park?
It is important to travel informed to avoid any kind of inconvenience!
HAVE A QUESTION
Don’t hesitate to contact us!
Our staff are ready to help you plan your trek. Beyond our office team, we also have professional guides in the park who are available to answer questions during your trip. Before sending us an email, please head over to the frequently asked questions to see if your question has already been answered. We look forward to hearing from you!